Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Real Women

I thought I hated women.

I’d often kept my distance.
But force and circumstance collide,
Into my life came such a woman.
If one could call her that.
Selfish
Little girl,
Really.

Broken,
Hollow
Girl.

Searching for approval in any man’s eye,
For she was not strong enough to give it to herself.

Sad, sad vapid,
Most vacuous child.

One could almost pity her but for the destruction she unfurled.

Lost locked-up castle-top princess
Calling to be saved.

Men don’t fall in love with these girls
They fall prey to them.


I thought I hated women.

I learned of strength.
I learned of pride
Of artistry and power.

These women charged into my life
Though I had never ask it.

They saw in me a kindred soul
And took me as a sister.
Took me as a daughter
Took me as their own.

Women showed to me my light
And shined on me their own.

I thought I hated women.

Power was in manipulation,
False flattery and giggles.

Power was in between their legs.
Power
Within their lies.

But when the adoration stopped,
Alone before the mirror,
A fractured,
False
Femininity.

A siren song
Grown silent.

No.

Power is in the woman who knows where she is going.
Power is in the woman who would take a man
Or leave him.
Power is in the women I populate my world with.

I thought I hated women.

I come to find, it’s not women I hate
But the stain that these women
Put on the real ones.

- Chelsea Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment